Saturday, 25 April 2015

REVIEW : We Were Liars by E.Lockhart

Review 

Title : We Were Liars

Author : E.Lockhart 

Genre : Contemporary

Star Rating : 3 ***

Goodreads Synopsis

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE

Review
When I first picked up this book I was so excited. It had had a huge amount of hype in the YA book blogging community and a ton of Booktubers were raving about it so when I finally had it in my hands I was eager to dive in. I hadn’t read any spoilers and I had no idea what the book was about apart from the fact that  it had a huge twist. When I first started reading I enjoyed it, it was nothing special however, I really wanted to continue reading and give it a good go. As I continued with the novel I was starting to feel more and more disappointed with the storyline and I had huge problems with the main protagonist ‘Cadence Sinclair Eastman’. I felt that she was just so self involved and removed and I hated her unreliable narration. I understand that this was meant to add to the storyline but, I felt that it just brought the novel down a little. I did enjoy the twist to the novel and how it was embedded in the plot however, I was expecting something much bigger that what actually happened. 

My negative opinions of the plot are not similar to my thoughts on the actual writing of the novel. Personally, I really enjoyed E.Lockwood’s writing style. I thought it was fresh and new and something that I hadn’t really come across before in YA literature. The language was very sophisticated and it was beautifully written and I am eager to read more of E.Lockwood’s writing. Even though I had some negative thoughts on the novel I would recommend it to anyone that is even slightly interested in what this novel is about as even though I didn’t think the book was all that great, I really enjoyed reading a new style of writing and I think others would embrace this writing style also. 


Let me know in the comments whether you've read this book and let me know your thoughts on the novel! 

See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment