Saturday, 9 May 2015

REVIEW : The 100 by Kass Morgan

Review

Title :  The 100

Author : Kass Morgan

Genre :YA young adult, Sci-Fi, dystopian

Star Rating : 3***

Goodreads Synopsis 
NO ONE HAS SET FOOT ON EARTH IN CENTURIES - UNTIL NOW.

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents - considered expendable by society - are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life... or it could be a suicide mission.

Clark was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. Wells, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves - but will she ever forgive him? Reckless Bellamy fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And Glass managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.
 


Review
When I first picked up this book I had no idea what it was about and to be honest I only bought it to make up a deal that was on at one of my local bookstores. However, it was short and after I read the synopsis at the back I decided to take it on holiday. I read it in one day! It was so good!! I didn't particularly have any expectations because I'd never heard of it and I'd seen no reviews but, I was pleasantly surprised! 

This book follows a group of teenage juveniles on a spaceship called the 'ARC'. It's all they've ever known but, they have always been educated about the ground how much of a life they could have there. The government on the ARC decides that it is time to send people to the ground to see if the Earth is now survivable. Eventually, 100 juveniles are sent to the ground including our two main protagonists Clarke and Bellamy *Swoon*. A bunch of  stuff  happens after they are sent to the ground which I won't tell you because I don't want to spoil you! 

The story is told from a couple of different different perspectives which I think made the book more dynamic and definitely kept the story alive. I also love how this is the first in a series. I currently have the first two  books but I am yet to read book two and purchase the third book. I'm not sure if there is going to be another book after the third because the books are fairly quick and I think it would be difficult to fit such a huge stories to only three small books but, we'll see!

However, despite that stellar review for this novel I feel like I should tell you about some of the problems I had with the book. Whilst there was nothing drastically wrong with the novel I did feel like the story could have been developed further. As well as this, I would have liked some of the minor story lines to have had more substance. Whilst they were good I felt like their story could have been pushed and developed further. Although, like I said there are other books in the series so maybe they explore the other characters further and the story may be developed more. 

I'd also like to point out that this novel has been made into a TV show which has been so successful and it's a show which I love! It's so addicting and the cast couldn't be better. However, if you intend to read this book and watch the TV show I would emphasise that you look at them as two different things because the TV show is so different from the book however, they are both brilliant in themselves. So, it would warn you not to judge them as one entity. 

So, in  conclusion, I gave this book a three stars because I loved it but I felt it could be developed more however, I can see great potential in this story. 

Hope you enjoyed this review guys make sure to check in tomorrow for my introductory post to Emeraude Toubia who is our new Isabelle in the Shadowhunters TV show. Also, tell me in the comments what you think of the cast that has been cast in this past week! 

See you Soon!

Use my Book Depository link below to get this book. I'll get a little commission and you'll get a a great book!
http://www.bookdepository.com/?a_aid=onceuponanovel

Social Media
Twitter : @uponanovel
Instagram : @uponanovel
Goodreads : thefreeelf

No comments:

Post a Comment