Sunday, 31 May 2015

REVIEW: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Review

Title: The Book Thief

Author: Markus Zusak

Genre: YA Historical Fiction

Star Rating: 5*****

Goodreads Synopsis
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.


Review
Once again I saw the film before I read the book but, I think everyone that has read the book and seen the film would agree with me that both were absolutely beautiful. Or not? It's up to you!  I think that recently in the book community there has become a bit of a stigma about watching a film before reading the book or that if you didn't read the book first you aren't a real fan and that has annoyed me a little bit. I think that films can be really wonderful depictions of books, granted, they aren't all the best but, I think films like 'The Book Thief' really show that the film industry is capable of bringing such a moving book to life without actually ruining the story. The film did leave out some parts of the story but,personally, I didn't mind because I loved it for what it was. Anyway! Rant over! This book was absolutely beautiful. Markus Zusak managed to really create a piece of art with this book in my opinion. 

From the perspective of 'Death' we are told the story of Liesel Meminger, a young German girl, who has been sent to live with a foster family during the peak of WW2. Liesel becomes friends with the next door neighbours son, Rudy Steiner, who clearly has a a little bit of a crush on her and we see their young friendship blossom. Whilst living with her foster parents and after being bullied at school for not being able to read or write, Liesel finds a passion for storytelling and is taught by her foster father how to write and spell. In the middle of a World War in the small corners of Germany, this young girl finds a passion for reading and storytelling like no other. 

I think you can clearly see that I enjoyed this book and gave it a well deserved five stars! I've always been interested in books about WW2 in particular and I think it was refreshing to read the story of a young, girl  in Germany during this time. It definitely gives you a wider scope and it let's you into what it was like in these other countries during this time not just your own country. I think the fact that it was also written from the perspective of 'Death' was interesting and different and it was an aspect of the book that I really enjoyed. 

I would recommend this book to everyone, adults and teens alike just because it's a wide open book. It isn't specific to one genre and I think that is almost a connotation for WW2 in that it affected everyone and that is why this book is so accessible to all age groups. 

I hope you enjoyed this review! 
Tell me in the comments if you've read this book and what you thought of it. If you haven't read it tell me what your currently reading and recommend some books to me! I want to become more interactive with my readers than I currently am so don't be shy to leave your thoughts and opinions even if they are different to mine!

See You Soon!

Follow Me on my Social media!!
Twitter: @uponanovel
Instagram: @uponanovel
Google+: Rhian Clement
Goodreads: thefreeelf

2 comments:

  1. Great Review! I still have not read or seen the movie yet, But I hope to get to it soon. From your review on it I bet it's going to be good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! It's an amazing book, very moving! I definitely recommend!

      Delete